These Chicken Meatballs with Tangy Sauce are fun finger foods for an after-school snack, and they’re great popped in a lunchbox the next day. Just heat the meatballs in the sauce until the meatballs register 140 F, then keep the mixture warm in a preheated thermos for no longer than 2 hours.
Dairy free; includes gluten free option.
A saucy remark
You may have sauce left over from this recipe. You can store it in a Mason jar in the fridge for up to a week. It works well with many different recipes; in fact, it’s delicious right off the spoon!
Chicken Meatballs with Tangy Sauce
- 1 lb ground organic chicken
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 organic egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 5 1/2 oz can tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard, gluten free if desired
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease baking sheet with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine ground chicken, grated carrot and sweet potato, onion, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, egg, and flaxseed. The best way to combine all ingredients is to use your hands. Form into 1 1/2 inch diameter balls, place on baking sheet, and transfer to preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 24 minutes, until chicken has cooked through (meatballs must be 165 F when tested with a meat thermometer in the center). After 10 minutes, turn meatballs over so they cook evenly.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine all sauce ingredients and whisk together. Set aside until meatballs are ready. Remove meatballs from oven and coat with sauce just before serving.
Per serving: 139 calories; 10 g protein; 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 12 g total carbohydrates
(6 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 436 mg sodium