Easy to transport and eat, these juicy chicken parcels are reminiscent of a fresh spring roll, thanks to herbs, carrot, and fish sauce.
Glean from mom’s most-loved cuisine to make these chicken patties her favorite. Try Greek-inspired with feta, dill, lemon zest, and yogurt; Korean-inspired with gochujang paste and kimchi; or Indian-inspired with garam masala and mango chutney.
Herbed Chicken and Carrot Patty Lettuce Cups
- 1 medium carrot roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 green onion roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint or dill
- 1/4 cup regular or gluten-free panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tsp coconut oil divided
- 1 leaves head iceberg or Bibb lettuce separated
- 1 cup yogurt or sriracha mayonnaise for serving
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse carrot, cilantro, green onion, and mint or dill until very finely chopped. Add panko and fish sauce, pulse again to combine, and then add chicken, pulsing until carrot and herb mixture is incorporated into chicken. Transfer to medium bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up. Form 10 heaped 2 Tbsp scoops of herbed chicken mixture into 1/2-inch thick patties and place on plate.
- To cook patties, heat large nonstick pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp coconut oil. Cook patties in batches until no pink remains, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining 1 tsp coconut oil and patties. Transfer cooked patties to serving platter alongside lettuce leaves and yogurt, and then garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serve warm or chilled, having guests make their own parcels by adding a patty and dollop of yogurt to a lettuce leaf.
Per serving: 131 calories; 15 g protein; 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 6 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars, 1 g fiber); 176 mg sodium