Ounce for ounce, berries offer the biggest nutrient punch of any fruit, with few calories. These desserts provide built-in portion control; using cooking spray rather than butter to keep the phyllo moist lowers fat, too. Halve or quarter large strawberries.
Fresh Berry Cups
- 7 cups mixed berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Chambord or creme de cassis (black currant liqueur)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- Organic canola oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a glass bowl, toss 4 cups berries with 1/4 cup liqueur and brown rice syrup. Set aside.
- Carefully place one sheet of phyllo on a work surface; keep remaining sheets between two damp towels to prevent drying out. Lightly spray sheet on work surface with cooking spray; cover with another sheet of dough. Repeat with two more sheets. Cut dough into six squares. Repeat entire process with remaining four sheets. (Extra phyllo dough can be wrapped tightly, sealed in a plastic bag, and frozen for future use.)
- Tuck each phyllo square into a lightly greased muffin tin. Bake for 5–7 minutes, until golden. Remove and cool on a rack.
- Place remaining 3 cups berries in a saucepan with ¼ cup water. Cook over medium heat until a saucelike consistency forms. Press through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Discard pulp; transfer juice back to pan. Add 3 tablespoons liqueur and sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Spoon a little sauce into a small dish; stir in arrowroot until smooth. Return to pan and continue cooking and stirring until thickened, about 1 minute; adjust sweetness as desired. Remove from heat.
- Spoon berry sauce into center of each dessert plate. Fill phyllo cups with berries and place on plates. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
Fresh Berry Cups
Amount Per Serving
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1g 2%
Sodium 61mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 2g 4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 206 cal, 1g fat (0g mono, 0g poly, 0g sat), 0mg chol, 2g protein, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 61mg sodium