These dairy-free and gluten-free (and grain-free) Flourless Sea Salt Chocolate Squares are extra dense, getting their fudgy texture from pinto beans (you won’t taste the beans, though!). A dash of flaky sea salt means this healthy treat will satisfy the kiddos’ sweet and salty cravings.
Flourless Sea Salt Chocolate Squares
- 1 14 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or evaporated cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder or chia seed powder
- 1/8 tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, dairy free if desired
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt (such as Maldon), plus more to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang for easy removal.
- In food processor, puree beans until smooth. Add coconut oil and vanilla. Puree until smooth and scrape down sides. Add cocoa powder, almond meal, sugar, psyllium or chia seed powder, and fine-grain sea salt. Pulse in chocolate chips; stop machine and smooth mixture into pan with offset spatula.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until edges appear dry. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt while still warm. Cool completely in pan, cover, and chill in refrigerator until cold. Using parchment overhang, remove from baking pan. Slice into 12 squares and garnish with a dusting of additional cocoa powder and flaky sea salt. Store airtight in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 191 calories; 5 g protein; 13 g total fat (9 g sat. fat); 19 g total carbohydrates (5 g sugars, 5 g fiber); 147 mg sodium
Look for hard candies made with natural cane sugar and vegetable dye in your local health food store to crush and crumble on top of these squares before baking. The pops of color will make this sweet even more appealing for little ones.