This tart is a showstopper. Smooth and creamy cashew cream is paired with the bright tang of cranberry compote for an unforgettable finish to any festive meal. Cranberries, skin on, are very high in beneficial bioactive plant compounds and antioxidants.
Cranberry Cashew Tart
- 1 1/2 cups cashews divided
- 2 Medjool dates pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 Tbsp monk fruit powder
- 2/3 cup cashew milk or coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp vacon syrup
- 3 oz chopped cocoa powder melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In small bowl, place 1 cup cashews and cover liberally with boiling water. Set aside.
- In food processor, pulse together remaining 1/2 cup cashews along with dates, until cashews are roughly chopped. Add in rolled oats and coconut oil; continue to combine mixture in long pulses until a moist dough forms that holds it shape well when a small amount is squished together in the palm of your hand. Firmly press dough into 9 inch round tart pan with removable bottom. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Allow crust to cool to room temperature in tart pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make cranberry filling. In small bowl, stir together arrowroot powder or cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water and set aside.
- In small saucepan, add cranberries, 1 Tbsp water, and monk fruit powder. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to medium-low and allow mixture to cook, stirring often, until cranberries have popped, and mixture has thickened slightly. Stir in arrowroot mixture and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat and set aside, allowing mixture to cool for 10 minutes. Pour cranberry filling into crust and spread into even layer. Place tart in refrigerator while making topping.
- To make topping, start by draining reserved cashews. Place cashews in blender along with cashew milk, vanilla extract, and yacon syrup. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed with a rubber spatula. Add cocoa butter and blend until well combined. Pour cashew mixture overtop of cranberry layer in tart and smooth top with spoon or spatula. Refrigerate tart for 2 to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, garnish as desired, slice, and serve. Store leftovers, covered, in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 363 calories; 4 g protein; 32 g total fat (17 g sat. fat); 17 g total carbohydrates (5 g sugars, 2 g fiber); 15 mg sodium