Although mussels are not native to the island, the dominant flavors used in this dish—limes, lime leaves, fresh coconut milk, cilantro—are local to St. Croix and infuse the recipe with bold and complex flavors. Serve with crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green-lipped mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 wild lime (kaffir) leaves (or zest of 1 lime)
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 sweet seasoning peppers finely diced
- 1/2 hot seasoning pepper, seeded and finely diced (or 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro divided
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Splash of low-sodium Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 scallions chopped green and white parts
- Tap on mussels to make sure they are all closed; discard any that are not.
- Add olive oil to a large, deep pan and place on medium heat. Sprinkle curry seasoning over warm oil and stir gently, being careful not to burn. Break lime leaves in half or bruise them a bit with the back of a wooden spoon to release some of the fragrant oils.
- Immediately add lime leaves, onion, peppers, half of the cilantro and parsley, garlic, tomato, thyme, ginger, and fish sauce. Sauté on medium heat until onions are translucent and tomatoes are softened. Add a little more oil or a bit of water or coconut milk if necessary to prevent burning or sticking.
- Add mussels; toss to season and combine. Add coconut milk and scallions. Cover and steam for 5–6 minutes or until mussels pop open; discard any that do not open. Try not to overcook mussels, which makes them tough, but do make sure they are all opened and cooked through.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl with coconut sauce; sprinkle with remaining cilantro and parsley to garnish.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 4211 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9g 14%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Cholesterol 31mg 10%
Sodium 385mg 16%
Total Carbohydrates 16g 5%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 15g 30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as a light entrée.
PER SERVING (4): 211 cal, 9g fat (6g mono, 2g poly, 2g sat), 31mg chol, 15g protein, 16g carb, 2g fiber, 385mg sodium