Fajita-inspired, colorful, and full of flavor, this soup quickly turns leftover chicken into a nourishing and hearty meal. When paired with a fresh, crusty loaf of bread, this warming bowl is perfect for either a simple weeknight dinner or for entertaining on the weekend.
To top it off
Garnish your soup with other toppings. Some other great add-ons to try are diced tomatoes, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, cilantro, salsa, a spoon of plain Greek yogurt, or—for a kick—some sliced pickled banana peppers!
Chicken Fajita and White Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cannellini beans rinsed well, divided
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded or diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado skin and pit removed, diced
- In large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium and sauté onion until translucent. Add garlic and sauté a further minute before adding bell peppers. Sauté all until peppers are soft but colors remain vibrant.
- Remove 1 cup bell pepper and onion mixture from soup pot and set aside. Add cumin, oregano, coriander, and paprika and stir well before adding broth and 2 cups beans.
- With immersion blender, blend mixture in soup pot until smooth. Alternatively, ladle soup pot contents into blender; blend until smooth and return to soup pot. Add chicken, remaining 2 cups beans, and reserved bell pepper and onion mixture and bring to a slow boil on medium heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and ladle into serving bowls. Top with diced avocado and enjoy!
Per serving: 419 calories; 43 g protein; 13 g total fat (3 g sat. fat); 34 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars, 18 g fiber); 594 mg sodium