Dairy free; includes gluten-free option
The chameleon of the kitchen, cauliflower transforms into “rice” that, once seasoned and cooked, is remarkably similar to the real thing. It’s the blood sugar-friendly base in this quick yet flavorful Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice recipe.
No food processor? Use the largest holes on a box cheese grater to grate each cauliflower floret into small pebble-sized pieces.
Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp garlic-chili hot sauce such as Sriracha
- 1 tbsp peanut oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thigh cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 s shallots chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp peeled, minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 2 large organic eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coarsely chop cauliflower into florets. In food processor, place half of cauliflower and pulse until cauliflower has texture of rice or couscous. Be sure not to overprocess or it will get mushy. Add to large bowl. Repeat processing with remaining cauliflower. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together soy sauce or tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and hot sauce.
- In wok or large high-sided skillet, heat peanut or grapeseed oil over medium. Add chicken and heat until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Place carrots in pan and heat, stirring often, until softened. Add shallots, garlic, and ginger; heat for 30 seconds. Place half of cauliflower in pan and heat for 3 minutes, stirring often, or until tender. Add remaining cauliflower and heat for another 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in chicken and peas. Pour in soy sauce mixture and heat for 1 minute.
- Make a well in center of pan by pushing cauliflower mixture to the sides and pour in beaten egg; let egg cook for 30 seconds before stirring into cauliflower rice.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and cashews. Squeeze on lime juice just before serving.
Per serving: 401 calories; 34 g protein; 18 g total fat (4 g sat. fat); 28 g total carbohydrates (9 g sugars, 7 g fiber); 481 mg sodium