Makes 12 / Powdered arrowroot makes these cut-out cookies delightfully crisp. For a beautiful and tasty variation, sandwich two cookies with naturally-sweet fruit spread; serve immediately, before they become soft.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or spelt flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup FruitSource syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or brush with oil.
- Mix dry ingredients. Separately, whisk liquid ingredients together and add to dry. Stir well and form a smooth ball of dough. Roll out dough quite thin between sheets of wax paper; dust the bottom sheet with arrowroot powder or flour to prevent sticking.
- Cut with cookie cutters. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until golden around edges and underside, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a cooling rack.
Amount Per Serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
From Sweet and Natural (St. Martin's Press) by Meredith McCarthy.
Photography by: Laurie Smith
Calories 77,Fat 4,Perfat 41,Cholesterol 0,Carbo 10,Protein 1,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A