Makes 3 cups / This can be made up to one day in advance. Serving tip: Scoop into endive leaves (as shown above), or serve with whole-grain crackers.
- 2 medium eggplants (1½ pounds), skin on, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small yellow onion, skin on, cut in half
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup bottled roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Minced red bell pepper and parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly brush cut sides of eggplants and onion with ½ tablespoon olive oil. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down, and roast until very tender, 35-40 minutes.
2. Place eggplant in a colander to drain and cool for 15 minutes, then scoop out pulp from skins and place in the bowl of a food processor. When cool enough to handle, peel skin off onion and cut into large chunks; add to food processor, along with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, bell peppers, lemon juice, and thyme. Pulse until eggplant is somewhat smooth but retains some texture. Stir in salt to taste. Serve at room temperature, garnished with minced red bell pepper and parsley.
PER SERVING ( ¼ cup): 36 cal, 41% fat cal, 2g fat, 0g sat fat, 0mg chol, 1g protein, 5g carb, 2g fiber, 81mg sodium