The alluring flavor of cardamom permeates this Indian-style rice dessert. Serve chilled.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups low-fat milk or rice milk
- 1/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 25 cardamom pods
- 3 4-inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 sprigs mint (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup milk with water, ginger, cardamom and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then stir in the rice and honey and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining milk, dates, honey and vanilla. Simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes or until the liquid has thickened slightly. Transfer the pudding to serving dishes, cover and chill thoroughly before serving. Garnish with fresh mint.