Serves 6 / Ingredient tips: Black Japonica is actually a blend of Japanese short-grain black rice and medium-grain mahogany rice, also developed by Lundberg Family Farms. Thanks to the flavor-packed Thai curry paste, available in most grocery stores, this curry has complex flavor though it is quick and easy to prepare. Serving tip: Best eaten immediately.
- 2½ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1¼ cups black Japonica rice
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2-3 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 pounds bone-in split chicken breasts, skinned
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (keep white and green parts separate)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Soy sauce or Thai fish sauce (optional)
- Fresh cilantro and lime wedges, for garnish
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a heavy, 2-quart pot or Dutch oven. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until some grains have burst open and rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a 4-quart pot over medium heat, blend coconut milk and curry paste until smooth. Add tomatoes with juices, chicken, and whites of scallions. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked, 20-30 minutes. Remove chicken. Shred or chop meat and discard bones. Return chicken to pot along with green scallion parts, cilantro, lime juice to taste, plus soy sauce or fish sauce, if desired.
- To serve, press about ¾ cup rice into a ramekin or coffee cup. Unmold onto center of plate. Spoon chicken curry around rice. Garnish rice and curry with additional cilantro. Set a few lime wedges to one side.
PER SERVING: 479 cal, 31% fat cal, 16g fat, 9g sat fat, 88mg chol, 41g protein, 41g carb, 4g fiber, 211mg sodium