This Zucchini Squash Bake makes for delicious comfort food when the weather outside is frightful. Gluten free and vegetarian, it’s chock full of nutritious zucchini plus protein-rich ricotta.
(vegetarian, gluten-free option with bread crumb choice)
Zucchini Squash Bake
- 1 small (about 2 pounds) kabocha, red kuri or delicata squash
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon plus ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 small zucchini, grated (about ½ cup)
- ⅔ cup ricotta
- ½ cup grated hard cheese, such as Fontina, Emmental, Gruyère or non-aged Gouda
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmet
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- FOR THE TOPPING
- ½ cup bread crumbs (regular, gluten-free or panko)
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out seeds. Drizzle oil and 1 /8 teaspoon salt over cut side of squash halves. Place squash, cut side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover squash loosely with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Once cooked, remove foil and let squash cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, place grated zucchini, ricotta, grated cheese, parsley, thyme, pepper and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; stir to combine. Mix in beaten egg and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, toss bread-crumb ingredients together; set aside.
- Once squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a bowl and add lemon juice; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Gently fold ricotta cheese mixture into squash until combined.
- Grease a 2-quart round baking dish, and reduce oven temperature to 375°. Scoop squash mixture into baking dish, and top with bread-crumb mixture. Bake until topping turns golden brown in spots, about 25–30 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Zucchini Squash Bake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1193 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Cholesterol 57mg 19%
Sodium 418mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 16g 5%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 10g 20%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING (1 cup): 193 cal, 11g fat (4g mono, 1g poly, 6g sat), 57mg chol, 418mg sodium, 16g carb (3g fiber, 5g sugars), 10g protein