Nurturing, ultra-cozy grains are the base of this creamy, mellow Warm Hazelnut Milk Porridge with Salted Almond-Coconut Butter. It can be made in the moment for a tableful or in advance for single servings throughout the workweek.
Tip: Blanching hazelnuts
If the hazelnuts you purchase for this recipe aren’t already blanched, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil and add 2 tsp baking soda. Add the 1 cup shelled hazelnuts and stir in. Be careful as the water will easily foam up and spill over the pot. Stir for 3 minutes, then drain in a sieve and run under cold running water. Use your hands or a small dish brush to rub the skins off the nuts.
- 4 cups recently boiled water
- 1 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups large flake rolled oats gluten free if desired
- 1/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg or ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup Almond butter room temperature
- 1 pint fresh berries of choice lightly mashed
- 1/4 cup prepared or homemade granola optional gluten and/or dairy free if desired
- To high-speed blender, add water and hazelnuts. Blend until milky in appearance, about 30 seconds. Using nut milk bag or cheesecloth-lined mesh sieve, strain hazelnut milk into large pot, leaving pulp behind for another use. Stir in maple syrup.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Transfer 1 Tbsp melted oil to small bowl and reserve; leave 1 Tbsp oil in skillet. Add oats to skillet and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- To hazelnut milk mixture, add toasted oats, 1/8 tsp salt, and nutmeg or cardamom. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, until oats are thickened to your liking, about 10 to 15 minutes. If not eating immediately, transfer to large bowl, cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 week. Reheat on stovetop with a splash of additional water, if needed.
- To reserved coconut oil (still liquefied), stir in almond butter. Heat mixture briefly to combine if necessary, until smooth and very loose. To almond butter mixture, stir in remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
- To serve, add hot porridge to bowls and top with berries and a spoonful of almond-coconut butter. Sprinkle with granola for a touch of extra crunch, if desired. If taking to go, pack hot porridge in warmed thermal container and top with berries and almond-coconut butter. Pack granola separately and garnish right before serving, if desired.
Per serving: 615 calories; 14 g protein; 41 g total fat (9 g sat. fat); 57 g total carbohydrates (19 g sugars, 13 g fiber); 153 mg sodium