Soggy, mayo-laden tuna salad sandwiches and subs are far from culinary bright spots. But this breadless incarnation is a plateful of wonderful textures and fresh flavors! Look for pole- or troll-caught tuna, which is the most sustainable option. You can also use a good quality canned albacore tuna.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 411 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Sodium 421mg 18%
Total Carbohydrates 41g 14%
Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Protein 36g 72%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp organic sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 6 cups salad greens
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 cup cooked or canned navy beans drained and rinsed if canned
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup Plain yogurt
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 - 4 oz to 6ahi tuna steaks
- black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed camelina, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Place onion slices in small heatproof bowl. In small saucepan, bring cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, sugar, and salt to a simmer. Once sugar and salt have dissolved, pour mixture over onion and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide salad greens, bell pepper, celery, cucumber, beans, and dried cherries among serving plates. Place yogurt, avocado, basil, lemon juice, curry powder, and red pepper flakes in blender or food processor container; blend until smooth. Blend in water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until you have a thin consistency.
- Season tuna with salt and pepper. In heavy skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. For medium-rare tuna, sear for 1 minute per side. Transfer tuna to cutting board and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Top salad with drained pickled onion and tuna slices. Drizzle avocado dressing over top.
In a pickle
Use extras of the pickled onion from this Tuna Salad recipe to instantly take grain salads and tacos from ho-hum to seriously yum.