Southwestern Native Americans employ a gardening method that combines a stalk of corn, a bean plant, and a squash plant on individual mounds. The corn provides a pole for the beans, the beans fix nitrogen in the soil for the corn, and the squash shades the mound to prevent weed growth. They’re called “the three sisters.” Corn and beans combine to form a complete protein, and the three together are delicious!
Gluten Free, Vegan
Three Sisters Stew
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 cup diced fresh butternut squash buy precut to save time
- 1 cup white corn fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon Chimayo chile powder or other chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans drained - reserve ½ cup cooking water
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Vegan sour cream, diced avocado and diced fresh tomato for garnish
- Place oil in a large pot over high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften and lightly caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add squash, corn, chile powder, salt, bouillon cube, and ½ cup water (or cooking liquid from beans). Stir well, reduce heat to medium, and cook another 5 minutes, stirring from time to time, until mixture is almost dry. Add beans and warm through.
- When beans are warm, remove pot from heat and stir in half the chopped cilantro and the lime juice. Season with salt, if needed. Serve in bowls, topped with reserved cilantro and other garnishes.
Three Sisters Stew
Amount Per Serving
Calories 366 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4g 6%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Sodium 402mg 17%
Total Carbohydrates 69g 23%
Dietary Fiber 9g 36%
Protein 15g 30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 366 cal, 4g fat (1g mono, 1g poly, 2g sat), 0mg chol, 15g protein, 69g carb, 9g fiber, 402mg sodium