These tasty Sweet Potato and Refried Lentil Tostadas make a great meal any time of the day. Sweet potatoes contain a good amount of fiber and antioxidants that have been shown to contribute to a healthy gut. Lentils are a great source of polyphenols, which have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Sweet Potato and Refried Lentil Tostada
- 3/4 in sweet potato cut into 1/2cubes
- 1 tsp Tbsp + 1grapeseed oil divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin divided
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup canned green or brown lentils drained and rinsed
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 small corn or flour tortillas
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 large tomato seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese or shredded cheddar cheese or 4 tsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 F . Line rimmed baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In medium bowl, toss together sweet potato pieces, 1 tsp grapeseed oil, 1 tsp cumin, and oregano. Spread mixture out in a single layer on prepared baking tray and roast, stirring once or twice during roasting time, until potatoes are fork tender and lightly caramelized, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, warm remaining 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook until both onions and garlic are starting to lightly caramelize. Stir in lentils, salt, paprika, remaining 1 tsp ground cumin, maple syrup, tomato paste, and water. Stirring, bring mixture to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let mixture simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. If mixture gets too dry, add a bit more water. Remove from heat, stir in lime juice, and adjust seasoning, as desired, with additional spices or lime juice. Set aside.
- Lay tortillas out in single layer on baking tray and toast in oven for 4 minutes. Flip and continue to toast until tortillas are crispy, about another 4 to 8 minutes.
- Over each tortilla, evenly spread a layer of refried lentils and then top with roasted sweet potato, avocado, diced tomato, cheese or nutritional yeast, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 279 calories; 10 g protein; 10 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 38 g total carbohydrates (4 g sugars, 7 g fiber); 416 mg sodium