This can be assembled up to half a day in advance but is best eaten within a few days. Ingredient tip: Many chefs recommend using currant jam when working with berries, but you can also use apricot or peach jam, or a blend. Serving tip: Excellent when accompanied by caramel-swirl frozen yogurt.
Summer Berry Tart
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup natural cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup all-fruit preserves currant, apricot, or a mixture
- 1 6-ounce carton low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 6-8 large strawberries, halved
- 3/4 cup blackberries
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- With a mixer, beat butter with sugar and salt on medium speed until smooth. Add egg; blend. Add flours and mix until just blended. Shape into a flat disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator; let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly flour the dough, a working surface, and a rolling pin. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Fit dough snugly into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing against the pan bottom and up the sides; trim any overhang. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for an additional 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap tart shell and bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven. If sides are collapsing, gently press back into place; prick any air bubbles to deflate. Return shell to oven and bake until golden brown, about 12 more minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, then remove from pan.
- Heat preserves in a small saucepan until melted. With a pastry brush, coat crust with preserves. Let dry for 45 minutes. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, powdered sugar, and lemon zest. Spread over crust. Arrange fruit over yogurt layer.
Summer Berry Tart
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Cholesterol 43mg 14%
Sodium 63mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 31g 10%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 4g 8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
PER SERVING: 202 cal, 31% fat cal, 7g fat, 4g sat fat, 43mg chol, 4g protein, 31g carb, 3g fiber, 63mg sodium