Most of this recipe can be made ahead, but you might want to try it on a morning when you have plenty of time. Serve with warm flour tortillas and spicy tomato juice.
Stuffed Green Chilies with Red-Pepper Sauce
- 4 medium-large Anaheim green chilies
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chilies, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- RED-PEPPER SAUCE
- 1 8-ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 10 drops hot pepper sauce or to taste
- Place sauce ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Pour into a small pan and heat or place in a bowl and microwave until warm. (Sauce may be made ahead and refrigerated; warm before serving.)
- Preheat broiler. Place chilies on a baking sheet. Broil, turning often, until skins split and turn black, 5-8 minutes. Place chilies in a paper bag for 10 minutes. Remove skins, slit down the middle to create a pocket, and remove seeds. Keep warm. (If making ahead, refrigerate chilies; warm in a nonstick skillet or in microwave before serving.)
- Whisk eggs and milk in a small bowl. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet on medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until opaque, about 3 minutes. Add diced canned chilies and eggs and scramble until eggs are soft-set. Season with salt and pepper and add goat cheese. Stuff whole chilies with egg mixture.
- Pour 1/4 cup warmed red-pepper sauce on each plate. Place stuffed chilies on sauce. Garnish with avocado.