Don't shy away from sardines! They're a flavorful, heart-healthy addition to many recipes. Try them in this simple pasta dish from The Complete Mediterranean Diet.
The Complete Mediterranean Diet
- 6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup bread crumbs + extra for garnish (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh fettuccine pasta
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 (3-4 ounce) cans boneless sardines in tomato sauce, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small nonstick skillet, sauté garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil until fragrant but not browned. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a separate pan and add bread crumbs. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy and golden brown.
- Cook and drain fresh pasta according to package directions.
- In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Add pasta, sardines with sauce, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Toss gently and serve with bread crumbs sprinkled on top.