Purple sweet potatoes provide a more vibrant color than other types of purple potatoes. The texture of these gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan desserts is similar to bread pudding with subtle sweetness and a quiet vanilla-cinnamon finish. Chia seeds add unique crunch.
Purple Sweet Potato Puddings
- 2 large purple sweet potatoes (1–1¼ pound total)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk (plus more as needed)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅜ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Chia seeds (with a natural purple/grey tone to them)
- Fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400˚. Wash and poke holes in one side of sweet potatoes with a paring knife. Place into a pie plate or baking dish, and roast for 45–55 minutes or until soft all over. (Remove smaller potatoes as needed.) Let potatoes cool. (TIP: This step can be done up to 48 hours in advance.)
- Remove skin from sweet potatoes and measure out 2 packed cups of the flesh. Place flesh into a high-powered blender or food processor with maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend until very smooth, using the stick that came with your blender to move the mixture around as needed. Add more coconut milk to adjust to desired looseness/texture.
- Spoon and spread mixture into eight 4-ounce ramekins, and place in refrigerator until ready to eat. Top servings with a sprinkle of chia seeds and a few fresh blackberries. Serve chilled.