This vibrant Purple Cabbage and Apple Soup is a soul-soothing hug in a bowl. Blue and purple fruits and vegetables contain powerful antioxidants called anthocyanins that promote health and proper brain function.
TIP: Try swapping out the apples in this recipe for pears. Just like the apples, the subtle sweetness of pears helps balance out the earthiness of the cabbage.
Purple Cabbage and Apple Soup
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 large head purple cabbage about 25 oz, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 medium yellow potato peeled and diced
- 2 Gala apples cored and diced
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 Tbsp sour cream or vegan sour cream for garnish
- In large saucepan, heat grapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in cabbage, potato, apples, vinegar, vegetable stock, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer, lower heat to medium-low, cover, and let slowly simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, if necessary, in blender, purée soup until very smooth. Return back to saucepan and warm over medium heat. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired.
- To serve, divide soup among 4 serving bowls. Swirl 1 Tbsp sour cream into each bowl of soup and top with a sprinkle of shredded raw cabbage. Enjoy while warm.
Per serving: 143 calories; 3 g protein; 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 25 g total carbohydrates (12 g sugars, 5 g fiber); 234 mg sodium