Kick things off for Mom with a special occasion breakfast. Here, “special” doesn’t mean challenging or a sink full of dishes—even kids can mix up this simple pancake batter and prep a toppings bar for mom to glow up her plate as she pleases.
Pump up your pancake
Before flipping, top pancakes with a few fresh blueberries, raspberries, or dark chocolate chips (or all three!) for a zhuzhed-up surprise inside.
One-Bowl Cashew Milk Pancakes with the Fixins
- 2 cups light spelt flour or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk plus more to thin
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter melted, plus more for pan
- 2 large organic eggs or 2 flax eggs see method
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Glam toppings (optional, but recommended)
- maple syrup
- Plain yogurt nondairy or dairy
- Fresh fruit such as berries and sliced bananas
- Natural nut butter
- coconut oil or butter
- Grated dark chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Acquire and assemble toppings so they’re ready to go when pancakes are cooked.
- For pancakes, in large bowl, stir to combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix in milk, melted coconut oil or butter, eggs (or for plant-based, 2 Tbsp flaxseed mixed with 1/2 cup water), and vanilla, stirring until fully combined. If batter is too thick to stir, thin with additional milk, as needed. The batter should be similar in texture to a bowl of oatmeal (on the thick side but still spoonable).
- To cook, preheat nonstick griddle or large pan over medium heat. Brush with additional melted coconut oil. Add dollops of pancake batter into pan, nudging corners with your ladle to spread out a bit. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and flip once bubbles appear all over the surface. Lower heat, as necessary, to avoid burning. Flip and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes, until puffed and cooked through. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes warm with Mom’s glam toppings of choice.
Per serving (without toppings): 269 calories; 8 g protein; 12 g total fat (9 g sat. fat); 35 g total carbohydrates (6 g sugars, 5 g fiber); 472 mg sodium