Barbecued pizzas have a smoky, hearty authenticity. The lightly charred crust is a perfect base for any topping, especially loads of veggies and DIY dairy-free cheese, as is the case with this Grilled Pizza with Cashew Parmesan. (FYI, barbecued pizza crust is equally delicious spread with pesto and a smattering of cashew cheese and cut into fingers after grilling.)
Vegetarian & dairy free; includes gluten-free option.
Grilled Pizza with Cashew Parmesan
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb pizza dough, regular, whole wheat, or gluten free
- 8 oz pizza sauce, gluten free if desired
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sliced red, yellow, or green bell pepper
- Sliced button mushrooms
- Baby spinach leaves
- sliced black olives
- pine nuts, toasted
- To food processor, add cashew parmesan ingredients. Pulse until ground into coarse meal. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes enough for 2 large pizzas.
- Grease barbecue and preheat grill to 400 F. On lightly floured surface (using gluten-free flour if desired), roll out pizza dough into large 14 inch round. Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll into 2 medium pizzas or divide into 6 pieces and roll into single-serve pizzas. Lightly brush both sides of crust(s) with oil. Have all your toppings ready before beginning to grill pizza crust(s).
- Place pizza crust(s) on barbecue and grill for 3 to 4 minutes. Using large spatula, carefully turn dough, grilled side up, onto large cutting board. Enlist the kids to spread crust(s) with pizza sauce and scatter with toppings of choice. Sprinkle with cashew parmesan. Return pizza(s) to barbecue and continue to grill until done as you like. Remove and cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Per serving: 152 calories; 5 g protein; 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 22 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 428 mg sodium