Adding something fresh to the holiday table not only perks up the meal, but also saves on coveted oven space! So give Brussels sprouts a fresh twist as a best-dressed salad. Because the sprouts are shaved (similar to coleslaw), this salad tastes better the longer it marinates in the dressing.
Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Squash Salad
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shaved (about 8 cups or 28 to 30 sprouts)
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup Poppy Seed Dressing, gluten free if desired
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F. On baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss together squash, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes. If making ahead, let cool.
- To serve, in large bowl, combine roasted squash, Brussels sprouts, pecans, and cranberries. Drizzle with half of dressing; toss to mix. Taste and add more dressing, if needed. Top with feta cheese.
Per serving: 174 calories; 4 g protein; 12 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 16 g total carbohydrates (7 g sugars, 4 g fiber); 187 mg sodium