A riot of textures and flavors, this salad offers something new in every bite. Crunchy fennel, bitter radicchio, and spicy arugula partner with tart grapefruit, rich in skin-supportive vitamin C. And don’t forget creamy avocado, chock full of healthy fats for skin radiance.
If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand, or feel like keeping things vegetarian, replace it with crumbled feta or fresh goat cheese, either dairy or plant based.
Grapefruit and Fennel Salad with Chicken and Avocado
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 small bulb fennel cored and shaved or thinly sliced
- 1/2 head radicchio cored and torn into medium pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts or thighs shredded
- 1 ripe avocado flesh cut into cubes and scooped out
- 1 large grapefruit or navel orange peeled and segmented or sliced
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- In medium glass jar, shake to emulsify all dressing ingredients.
- In large bowl, toss together arugula, fennel, and radicchio with two-thirds of dressing. Transfer to platter or divide among 4 shallow bowls. Top arugula mixture evenly with chicken, avocado, grapefruit, and red onion, and then drizzle over remaining dressing. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and dill overtop, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 461 calories; 24 g protein; 33 g total fat (6 g sat. fat); 22 g total carbohydrates (10 g sugars, 7 g fiber); 280 mg sodium