This Garlicky Roasted Trout Caesar Salad may buck tradition, but it’s proof that being a little different can result in a total taste bud party. Roasting garlic reveals a whole new side of the bulb: A long session in the oven mellows out the harshness of raw cloves and brings out a slight sweetness. If Tuscan kale is not available, you can use torn pieces of romaine lettuce in this dish, but skip the massaging step.
Garlicky Roasted Trout Caesar Salad
- 1 whole large garlic bulb
- 3 Tbsp + 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil or camelina oil divided, plus extra for roasting garlic
- 1 lb rainbow trout fillet
- 1/4 cup tahini gluten free if desired
- 1 chopped shallot
- 2 minced anchovies optional
- 2 tsp grainy Dijon mustard gluten free if desired
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt plus extra
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus extra
- 8 cups torn Tuscan (dinosaur) kale
- 1 cup sliced roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Remove excess papery covering on garlic bulb and slice a little bit off the top of the head to expose most of the cloves. Drizzle a little oil over exposed cloves, wrap bulb tightly in parchment paper, and bake for 40 minutes, or until garlic cloves are very soft. Let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 F. Season trout with a little bit of salt and pepper and place skin-side down on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake fish for 15 minutes, or until just barely cooked through in the thickest part of the flesh. Let fish rest for 5 minutes and then gently break apart flesh into 1 inch pieces.
- Into bowl, squeeze roasted garlic flesh and mash well. Stir in tahini, 3 Tbsp oil, shallot, anchovies (if using), mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and black pepper. Add warm water, 1 Tbsp at a time, until thinner consistency is reached.
- In another bowl, place kale, drizzle on 2 tsp oil, and add a pinch of salt. Massage with your hands until leaves are softened.
- Divide kale among serving plates and top with roasted red pepper, trout, and almonds. Drizzle on dressing and top with Parmesan.
Per serving: 517 calories; 36 g protein; 33 g total fat (6 g sat. fat); 22 g total carbohydrates (1 g sugars, 4 g fiber); 712 mg sodium