Brown rice and two varieties of lentils cook in one pot with broth, coconut milk, and simple spices. Nourishing spinach and sweet green peas bring this meal to life. It’s true sunshine in a bowl for those cold winter nights.
White basmati rice, short-grain brown rice, quinoa, or millet can be used in place of the brown basmati rice. Try a mixture of grains for added nutrition and taste (e.g., millet and basmati rice, quinoa and millet, and so on).
Curried Coconut Lentil and Rice Porridge
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup split yellow lentils or split yellow peas
- 2 - 14 oz cans light coconut milk
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice more to serve
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt or plain yogurt
- 6 sprouted grain or raw wraps vegan, gluten free
- In large pot, heat oil or vegan butter over medium. Add onion and ginger and sauté for 5 minutes, lowering heat, if necessary, until onions are softened. Stir in turmeric, cumin, coriander, and salt, and toast until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in rice, red lentils, yellow lentils, coconut milk, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook partially covered, stirring often, until lentils and rice are broken down, about 45 minutes. Add more water, if needed, to thin until desired consistency. (The porridge thickens dramatically as it cools; enjoy it thick or more soup-like.) Stir in spinach and peas, cooking until wilted and warmed through. To serve, spoon porridge into bowls and top with yogurt, with wraps on the side for dunking.
Per serving: 495 calories; 17 g protein; 14 g total fat (7 g sat. fat); 78 g total carbohydrates (4 g sugars, 16 g fiber); 481 mg sodium