The smooth, soft texture of chestnuts makes them ideal for creamy, and low-fat, dessert fillings. Sometimes called a Yule Log, a roulade begins with a malleable flourless cake baked in a sheet pan. Rolled up in a spiral, it makes a spectacular presentation when sliced and served. Since the dessert has no flour, it's a perfect alternative for those with gluten sensitivity.
Chestnut Cream Roulade
- 8 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 pound good-quality, semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups roasted, shelled and peeled chestnuts chopped
- 1 fresh vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups milk or plain rice milk
- 1/3 cup neufchatel cheese optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup honey or rice syrup
- Shaved chocolate and fresh raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º. Separate eggs and place whites in refrigerator. Beat yolks with sugar until very pale, fluffy and lemon-colored. Set aside.
- Combine chocolate and water in double boiler over simmering water. Stir with wooden spoon until melted; let cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla extract and salt. Fold gently into yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks, but aren't stiff and glossy. Don't overbeat or cake will be dry. Gently fold chocolate mixture into whites.
- Oil an 18' x 12' jelly roll pan and line with wax paper, letting the paper extend 1/2 inch beyond narrow ends of pan. Smooth batter evenly and gently over bottom of pan. Bake in center of oven for 15-20 minutes; mixture will puff and its surface will lose its shine when it's done. Don't overcook or it won't hold together when rolled up.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately cover with 2 layers of paper towels dipped in cold water and wrung out. Top with 1 layer of dry paper towels. Cool at room temperature for 20 minutes. When cool, peel off paper towels carefully. Loosen roll a bit with a knife, and gently lift extended wax paper ends. Dust top of cake with cocoa, and invert onto 2 pieces of wax paper. Gently peel off wax paper on which it baked.
- While cake bakes, cook chestnuts over medium heat in large saucepan with 11/2 cups milk and vanilla bean seeds until most of milk has been absorbed, about 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer chestnuts to food processor fitted with a steel blade, add salt and purée until smooth. Slowly add honey or rice syrup, and cheese (if desired) until smooth and creamy.
- Spread chestnut cream evenly over surface of cake. Roll into spiral, beginning at one of the long ends. Use wax paper to help lift cake. Cover any cracks with dusting of cocoa powder. Garnish with shaved chocolate and fresh raspberries.
Chestnut Cream Roulade
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Sodium 219mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates 87g 29%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Protein 9g 18%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Variation: To reduce fat and cholesterol, try using egg substitute instead of egg yolks in Step #1.
486 cal, 14g fat (2g mono, 1g poly, 7g sat), 176mg chol, 9g protein, 87g carb, 5g fiber, 219mg sodium