Created by Bauman College natural chef Angie Federico as part of the 2013 Bhakti Chai Recipe Challenge, this delectable and easy vegan recipe makes an impressive dessert. It looks lovely in regular mugs or teacups, but you could also serve it in clear cups to see the layers.
Note: This recipe has not been tested in the Delicious Living kitchens.
Chai Chocolate Mousse with Ginger-Spiced Cream
- 23 ounces dark chocolate 70-72% cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups original Bhakti Chai concentrate
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- GINGER-SPICED CREAM
- 4 (14-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight do not shake
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sweetened original Bhakti Chai concentrate
- 1 1/4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala, plus extra for garnish
- To make mousse: Fill a large mixing bowl with ice and water. Set aside. Roughly chop chocolate and add to a medium bowl with chai concentrate. Place bowl carefully over a pit of simmering water so the bottom is just touching the water. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Place chocolate mixture over bowl with ice water and whisk constantly until chocolate thickens and forms soft peaks. Remove from ice bath before solidifying any further and divide among cups.
- Make Ginger-Spiced Cream: Remove coconut milk cans from fridge and open. Pour off liquid portion from top and save for another use. Scoop solid coconut cream into a medium bowl and add remaining ingredients. Beat on medium speed until smooth and whipped.
- Top mousse in cups with cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of gram masala.