This recipe makes enough to fill two widemouth 16-ounce jars. The ginger-lime combo makes this healthful soup flavorful and satisfying. You can swap in any veggies you'd like. A few favorites are frozen peas or corn, fresh spinach or salad greens.
Black Rice Noodle Soup in a Jar with Kale, Shiitake & Carrots
- 1 cup torn kale leaves (thick centers removed)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup julienned or grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon powdered vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 3-ounce nests of black rice ramen, slightly undercooked
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or green onions
- In a large bowl, toss together kale, mushrooms and carrots. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, miso paste, powdered broth, tahini, ginger, soy sauce and sesame seeds.
- To assemble jars, divide slightly cooked rice noodles among two widemouth 16-ounce jars with hinged lids. Divide kale mixture and lime juice mixture among jars, tapping down gently on ingredients with the back of a spoon. Top with chives.
- Seal jars tightly and refrigerate up to 5 days. To eat, remove jar from refrigerator 15 minutes before eating (this allows the cold glass jar to acclimate to room temperature so it won't crack). Heat 2-1/2 cups water in a microwave or over stovetop. Pour water over ingredients in each jar, dividing water equally among jars. Let sit for 3 minutes, stir and eat.