Forget flipping individual flapjacks; this Banana Pancake Pie with Zesty Blueberry Sauce lets you get everything on the table at once. It’s perfect for languid weekends, and wedges of the pie and servings of blueberry sauce both reheat well for busy weekday breakfasts. For the most banana flavor, you’ll want to use fruit with plenty of brown spots on the skin. Almond flour infuses the pancake pie with a nutty taste, but if it’s not available, you can replace it with more oat flour.
Cause a stir
Always mix pancake batter gently by hand (not with an electric mixer). Over-mixing the batter yields less tender results. Simply stir together the wet and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until no big powdery lumps remain.
- 1 large organic egg
- 2/3 cup milk or plain, unsweetened dairy-free milk gluten free if desired
- 2 ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour gluten free if desired
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder gluten free if desired
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt plus extra
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In blender container, place egg, milk, bananas, and vanilla and blend until smooth. In large bowl, stir together oat flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Grease 8 or 9 inch round cake pan and pour in batter. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of pie comes out nearly clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes before unmolding. In small saucepan, place 1/3 cup water, blueberries, maple syrup or honey, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes. In small bowl, stir cornstarch or arrowroot powder into 1 Tbsp water until dissolved. Pour into blueberry mixture and stir. Simmer for another 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Serve warm wedges of pancake pie with blueberry sauce and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Per serving: 391 calories; 13 g protein; 21 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 44 g total carbohydrates (15 g sugars, 8 g fiber); 225 mg sodium