This elegant Asparagus and Egg Salad with Tahini-Miso Dressing is the perfect way to celebrate sunnier weather. Spelt berries are sold with their hulls intact, which means they’ll take a while to cook but will reward your patience with al dente chewy nuttiness.
Asparagus and Egg Salad with Tahini-Miso Dressing
- 3/4 cup spelt berries or gluten-free sorghum
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1 large bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 2 tsp grapeseed or sunflower oil, divided
- 8 green onions, root ends trimmed
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp white or yellow miso gluten-free, if desired
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup sliced unsalted roasted almonds
- 2 Tbsp capers
- In medium saucepan, place spelt or sorghum, 2 1/2 cups water, and generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a strong simmer, and cook, covered, until tender, about 40 to 55 minutes. Drain well.
- Bring medium saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Using slotted spoon, carefully lower eggs into water one at a time. Cook for 6 1/2 minutes; adjust heat to maintain a gentle boil. Transfer eggs to bowl of ice water and chill for 2 minutes. Gently crack eggs all over and peel. Gently slice eggs in half; yolks will be runny.
- Build medium-hot fire in charcoal grill or heat gas grill to medium-high and grease grill grate.
- Toss asparagus with 1 tsp oil. Grill until tender and charred in a few spots, turning once, 3 to 4 minutes. If stalks are large, they might take longer to cook.
- Brush green onions with remaining 1 tsp oil. Grill, turning once, until grill marks appear and onions are fork-tender all the way through, about 8 minutes.
Tip: Soak it up
Soaking whole grains like spelt for several hours in cold water can slash their cooking time.
Per serving: 344 calories; 18 g protein; 16 g total fat (3 g sat. fat); 38 g total carbohy-drates (7 g sugars, 9 g fiber); 433 mg sodium