Lower your child’s exposure to toxic chemicals at home with these tips from www.healthychild.org, the website for Healthy Child Healthy World, a Los Angeles–based nonprofit.
- Do away with garden pests with natural insecticide and weed killer, and use natural fertilizer on lawns. And always have kids wash their hands after playing outside.
- Use natural cleaners and personal care items labeled chlorine-free, phosphate-free, biodegradable, paraben-free, petroleum-free, and organic.
- Open windows, change heat and air-conditioning filters, and buy indoor plants or air purifiers. Plus, don’t forget to periodically empty or change your vacuum’s dustbin!
- Choose as many organic foods as possible. And pass up highly processed and fast food.
- Replace toys made from plastic, certain types of which can leach toxic chemicals after repeated use, with ones made of wood, metal, or cloth.