Lentil Burgers With Herbed Chevre Sauce
Serves 10-12 / The best of the burgers. Serve on burger rolls with all the trimmings. Try one of the mock mayonnaises as a topping or vata-balancing Herbed Chevre Sauce (recipe follows).
1 cup lentils
Herbed Chevre Sauce
1. Bring lentils and stock or water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt ghee or oil in small skillet. Add hing, carrot, celery and bell peppers, and sauté over low heat, stirring frequently, until they become tender.
3. Stir bulgur and sautéed vegetables into simmering lentils. Cover and simmer over very low heat until water is completely absorbed and lentils and bulgur are tender. Be careful the mixture doesn't burn. Season to taste with salt and peper. Allow mixture to cool thoroughly and become firm.
4. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Shape cooled mixture into burgers, and gently dredge in breading to coat both sides.
5. Combine all sauce ingredients in food processor, or beat together thoroughly. Thin to desired consistency with stock or water.
Photography by: Laurie Smith
Calories 209,Fat 5,Perfat 38,Cholesterol 20,Carbo 23,Protein 10,Fiber N/A,Sodium N/A