Honey can be substituted for sugar or other sweeteners in almost any recipe. Because honey’s high fructose levels make it sweeter than sugar, only half as much is needed. Also, honey’s high moisture content means that when using honey, you should cut back on other liquids in the recipe. As a rule of thumb, reduce liquid by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey used. In addition, add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey, and reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees to prevent over-browning. When these tips are followed, honey makes a tasty and healthier alternative to refined sugar.
Honey Wasabi Salmon
Serves 2 / A simple and elegant blending of flavors makes this dish sweetly memorable.
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 6-oz. fresh salmon fillets
1. In a small bowl, whisk together honey, soy sauce, mirin, wasabi powder and lime juice.
2. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook salmon 3-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer salmon to plates.
3. Add honey wasabi glaze to skillet and simmer for one minute, stirring constantly. Pour glaze over salmon and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories: 462 calories Fat: 23g % fat calories: 44 Cholesterol: 100mg Carbohydrate: 31g Protein: 35g
Honey-Ginger Glazed Carrots
Serves 4 / Ginger gives a twist to an old favorite. Serve this recipe with brown rice and the Honey Wasabi Salmon for a complete meal.
2 pounds baby carrots
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt, to taste
1. In a kettle, cover carrots with salted water and boil uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook honey, butter, ginger and lemon juice, stirring until butter is melted.
3. Drain carrots and toss with honey glaze. Add salt to taste.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories: 177 calories Fat: 7g % fat calories: 34 Cholesterol: 15mg Carbohydrate: 29g Protein: 1g