Past Poll Results
What’s your easiest summer eco tip?
Total Votes: 229
- Use more natural light: 32%
- Walk or bike rather than drive: 17%
- Wash your clothes (or yourself) in cold water: 21%
- Find natural alternatives to chemicals for yard maintenance : 27%
Related article: Chemical-free pest control
What’s your favorite dish to kick off summer?
Total Votes: 768
- A bowl of cold soup like gazpacho: 9%
- Nothing says summer like a crisp, fresh salad: 34%
- Ice cream, berry sorbet, or any frozen dessert: 31%
- A nice tall glass of iced tea: 25%
Related article: Chemical-free pest control
What’s your favorite healthy-cooking shortcut?
- Canned beans. Who has time for soaking and simmering?: 34%
- Whole-grain pasta. It’s ultra quick and satisfying.: 18%
- Frozen or pre-sliced organic veggies.: 13%
- Bottled marinades. They make almost anything taste better.: 6%
- A slow cooker or rice cooker. Ready when you are!: 26%
Related article: Eco Eating
How eco is your diet?
- Organic all the way!: 37%
- I don’t eat—and limit foods from—animals that go “moo.”: 30%
- I won’t touch it if it’s been trucked down the interstate.: 5%
- Sushi? Is it sustainable?: 8%
- All of the above.: 17%
Is stress elevating your risk for heart disease?
- Don’t think so. I’m cool.: 22%
- Not sure. When should I be concerned?: 11%
- Possibly. I’m under a lot of pressure these days.: 28%
- Probably. I’m frazzled, to put it mildly. So what can I do?: 36%
What habit would you like to break?
Total Votes: 620
- Relying on caffeine to wake up.: 12%
- Overdoing the salt.: 9%
- Staying up late and sacrificing sleep.: 33%
- Snacking often…. a little too often!: 43%
What’s your favorite stress buster during the holidays?
Total Votes: 437
- Enjoying a cup of tea with a friend.: 20%
- Exercise.: 26%
- Being in nature.: 32%
- Savoring a delicious meal with others.: 20%
How traditional is your Thanksgiving feast?
Total Votes: 407
- Totally traditional. Turkey and sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce!: 49%
- Mostly traditional. We mix it up with some veggie or ethnic options: 31%
- Somewhat traditional. We prefer tempeh to turkey, quinoa to mashed potatoes.: 9%
- Nontraditional. We have our own tradition—sushi, for example.: 8%
Which alternative health practice do you use most?
Total Votes: 188
- Acupuncturist or doctor of traditional Chinese medicine: 30%
- Homeopathic practitioner: 18%
- Naturopathic doctor (ND): 28%
- Integrative medical practitioner (MD): 22%
What is the most important category to buy organic?
Total Votes: 477
- Produce: 54%
- Dairy: 22%
- Meat: 21%
- Packaged goods: 1%
Are you a caffiene addict?
Total Votes: 565
- I drink coffee occasionally, usually decaf: 15%
- I indulge in plenty of green tea.: 27%
- I can’t function without a double latte!: 10%
- I need multiple forms of caffeine to get me through the day.: 17%
- I don’t do caffeine. Really.: 28%
What’s the most important item on a food label?
Total Votes: 580
- Serving Size: 34%
- Sodium: 16%
- Sugar: 26%
- Total Fat: 22%/li>
What’s your favorite summer indulgence?
Total Votes: 448
- Ice cream or gelato: 57%
- Nondairy ice cream sandwiches (Tofutti Cuties or Rice Dream): 12%
- Frozen cocktails (margs, anyone?): 18%
- Chilled white wine: 11%
What are your favorite “smart” snack foods?
Total Votes: 603
- Reduced-fat or baked potato chips: 14%
- Baby carrots and hummus: 27%
- Whole-grain crackers and cheese: 25%
- Dark chocolate: 32%
What’s your biggest eco sin?
Total Votes: 636
- Taking long showers: 41%
- Driving when you could walk: 19%
- Using conventional dishwashing detergent: 24%
- Ordering lattes in throw-away cups: 15%
Read our article related to this poll: Detox your home
What’s your primary protein source?
Total Votes: 458
- Meats, including poultry and beef: 12%
- Fish and other seafood: 6%
- Animal products, including eggs and dairy: 5%
- Plant sources, such as beans (e.g. tofu): 27%
- A combo of all the above: 48%
- Read our article related to this poll: Puzzled by Protein?
What’s your biggest sugar temptation?
Total Votes: 584
- Sweet snacks, such as cookies: 55%
- Ice cream: 27%
- Ketchup: 2%
- Refined bagels or pasta: 14%
Read our article related to this poll: The Sugar Debate
How do you get your probiotics?
Total Votes: 489
- Regularly take a supplement: 34%
- Eat plenty of yogurt : 36%
- Go for fermented foods, such as sauerkraut: 6%
- All of the above: 22%
Read our article related to this poll: Get Cultured
How do you stay healthy during the holidays?
Total Votes: 350
- Use healthier ingredients in traditional recipes: 40%
- Faithfully take a multivitamin:18%
- Don’t skip regular workouts: 24%
- Limit the eggnog and other calorie-rich beverages: 17%
Read our article related to this poll: Survive the holidays