To attain better gut health, you need to adopt some simple daily practices.
1. Include probiotics
Probiotics are bacteria that have beneficial health effects when consumed. Look for a probiotic supplement that includes a large number of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains, which naturally occur in your gut. Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi, kombucha, and miso also contain probiotics.
2. Increase prebiotic fiber intake
Prebiotics feed healthy bacteria. Keep your inner community well fed with asparagus, garlic, leeks, onions, dandelion greens, bananas, and apples.
3. Shop organic whenever possible
Pesticides on foods may kill your good bacteria as well as bugs on the farm.
4. Exercise daily
This helps your lymphatic system to function optimally. Lymph circulation improves with muscular contraction.
5. Improve your sleep habits
Disturbed sleep can affect your gut microbes! Going to bed and rising at the same time daily can help.
Just as important as establishing gut-friendly habits is axing gut-harming behaviors. Avoid:
- refined sugars and artificial sweeteners, which tend to promote obesity and cause microbiome imbalances
- antibiotics when possible; they kill all bacteria, the good with the bad, and disrupt your microbiome
- smoking, which upsets your microbial balance
- disinfectant cleaning products when possible
Bottom line: Better gut health is the key to a strong immune system—and to feeling great for decades to come!