There’s nothing better than a home-baked goodie… except for a healthie home-baked goodie! Pull out your cookie sheets and grab those cake pans. Here are our top tips to make treats that are better for you – and truly special for Mother’s Day.
- Add avocado. Instead of butter, add this fruit filled with healthy fat to everything from brownies to frosting. Use fully ripened avocados for a smooth texture!
- Swap in cacao for chocolate. When a recipe calls for chocolate chips, cut that amount in half and add cacao nibs instead. It’s an easy way to keep that great chocolate flavor with a raw, healthy add-in.
- Try aquafaba. Open a can of chickpeas, drain the beans, and reserve the liquid. Transfer just the liquid yo a stand mixer and whip until fluffy and foamy. This mixture is called “aquafaba” and can be used as an allergy-friendly replacement for effs in many recipes. Add 3 Tbsp for every egg, mix, and bake.
- Substitute beans for flour. Puree chickpeas for blondies or black beans for brownies and replace the flour in these treats with this mild-flavored, high-fiber swap. Bonus points if you cook beans from scratch rather than using canned. Home-cooked beans pack more protein and far less sodium.
- Go bananas. Want sweetness without a ton of added sugar? Use dark brown, super ripe bananas in muffins and quick breads, and you can cut way back o the sugar. Just be sure to cut back a little on the liquids in the recipe too!