Who doesn’t love Mexican food—especially tacos? They’re fun and colorful—and kids can choose from an assortment of healthy toppings to suit their tastes. While some kids might just stick with sauce and cheese on these Tempeh Taco Pizzas, others may be more adventurous and opt for all the colorful veggies (fingers crossed!)
Vegetarian; includes gluten-free option.
Tempeh Taco Pizzas
- 6 oz pkg plain tempeh, gluten free if desired
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, plus extra for brushing tortillas
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted plain tomato sauce
- 6 5 inch corn tortillas, gluten free if desired
- 1 green or yellow pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Coarsely grate tempeh. In large skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add tempeh and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring often and breaking up any large pieces so tempeh is fully crumbled. Mixture should look like coarse ground beef. Stir in garlic, seasonings, and tomato sauce until evenly distributed. Simmer briefly to marry flavors. Remove from heat and transfer mixture to bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Give each child a tortilla and allow them to brush it with a little oil and spread tempeh mixture over top. Have them add toppings (pepper, cherry tomatoes, olives, and mozzarella) as desired.
- Transfer taco pizzas to baking sheet and bake until they are piping hot and cheese has melted. Remove and scatter with avocado and cilantro. Cool slightly and serve.
Per serving: 204 calories; 13 g protein; 12 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 14 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars, 4 g fiber); 265 mg sodium