You can adjust this recipe to suit many tastes; use less-spicy sausage for a kid-friendly meal, or substitute black beans for the sausage for a vegetarian option. Or use precooked sausage to save time; add it to the eggs when they’re finished cooking.
Scrambled Egg and Chorizo Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken chorizo or other spicy chicken sausages chopped or crumbled
- 8 corn taco shells
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 scallions chopped small
- 1 tomato diced or chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2 percent) plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 to 1 small chipotle pepper from a can seeded and minced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves chopped
- Preheat oven to 375˚.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Remove sausage casings, and cook sausage for 5 minutes, until browned and cooked through. While sausage is cooking, arrange taco shells on a baking sheet and warm for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Whisk eggs with salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Reduce heat under cooked sausage to medium-low. Add garlic and sauté for 1–2 minutes. Pour eggs into skillet and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring gently, until just set but still soft and glossy. Stir in scallions and tomatoes.
- While eggs are cooking, in a small bowl, combine yogurt or sour cream and chipotle pepper; stir to mix well.5. To serve, put about 1/4 cup spinach leaves in each taco shell. Divide hot egg and sausage mixture among tacos. Arrange two tacos on each plate and serve hot, with additional sauce and salsa on the side, if desired.