Agar agar can be found in the baking aisle. If difficult to source, increase cornstarch by 2 Tbsp.
No-Bake Lemon Tart
- 1 cup rolled oats regular or gluten-free
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup soft pitted Medjool dates about 6 dates
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Pinch of salt
Lemon curd filling
- 2 1/4 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp powdered agar agar
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- Red currants fresh strawberries, halved, fresh basil leaves, edible flowers
- Line 9-inch tart pan with circular piece of parchment paper. This step is important, or crust will stick to pan making removal difficult.
- Place almonds, oats, and coconut flakes in blender or food processor and whirl until it turns into coarse flour, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add dates, syrup, melted coconut oil, and salt. Process until mixture sticks together. If too dry or falling apart, add another date and process again.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Press down firmly with fingers or place a square piece of parchment paper over crust. Using bottom of a drinking glass, press down firmly, going up the sides to create an even tart shell.
- Place in fridge and make lemon curd.
- Place medium-sized saucepan on stove with no heat. Add ingredients for lemon curd to saucepan and whisk to combine. It is important cornstarch and agar agar have completely dissolved. Turn heat to medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes, until curd has thickened slightly.
- Pour mixture into tart crust. Allow to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes before placing in refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight to set the filling.
- Garnish with cut strawberries, red currants, basil leaves, and edible flowers.
Per serving (if serving 8): 272 calories; 7 g protein; 25 g fat (18 g sat. fat); 7 g carbohydrates (7 g sugar, 0 g fiber); 23 mg sodium