Here’s a delicious method to tenderize chicken that’s simple to boot! This dish is also great for a crowd—simply double or triple the recipe. (P.S. Use any remaining beer to wet your whistle while you work over the barbecue.)
Honeyed BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- 1 cup wheat beer
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 organic chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Sliced green onions and crushed chilies (optional)
- In medium bowl, combine beer, honey, tamari or soy sauce, oil, garlic, orange zest, cumin, and paprika. Whisk together until blended.
- Cut boneless chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Stir chicken cubes into marinade until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes before threading chicken. Thread 4 to 5 chicken cubes onto each skewer. Reserve marinade.
- Grease barbecue grill and preheat to medium-high. Grill chicken kebabs for 5 to 8 minutes, turning several times and brushing with remaining marinade. Chicken is done when meat thermometer placed in thickest portion of meat reads 165 F.
- Transfer to platter and drizzle with lemon juice. Scatter parsley and cilantro over top. Garnish with lemon wedges, as well as green onions and crushed chilies if using.
Per serving: 178 calories; 20 g protein; 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 19 g total carbohydrates (15 g sugars, 0 g fiber); 316 mg sodium