There’s nothing better to nosh on than a sandwich with oodles of fresh herby flavors. This herbed version of an egg salad sandwich is perfect for a midday brunch. It’s laced with a jazzed-up spicy mayo and topped with plenty of fresh herbs and zingy lemon. Choose a quality sourdough bread, such as rye or sprouted buckwheat, for a chewy and fibrous crunch when toasted.
To chiffonade fresh herbs, stack leaves on top of each other and then roll up tightly. Thinly slice perpendicular to the roll.
Herbalicious Open-Faced Egg Salad Toasts
- 1/2 cup regular or vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp canned chipotle juice or harissa paste
- 6 organic eggs hard-cooked
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper optional
- 6 slices thick sourdough rye toasted
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil leaves see tip
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh mint leaves see tip
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp capers rinsed and drained
- In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon, and chipotle juice or harissa paste. Whisk to blend. Peel eggs and coarsely chop into large chunks. Loosely fold into mayo mixture along with salt and pepper, if using. (You want egg salad to be chunky and not pasty.) Divide, evenly spooning onto toasted bread.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except capers, and gently toss together to mix. Scatter over egg salad sandwiches then scatter capers overtop and garnish as desired.
Per serving: 199 calories; 11 g protein; 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat); 29 g total carbohydrates (1 g sugars, 3 g fiber); 488 mg sodium