A fresh lunch inspired by the warmer weather, all components of this dish can be made ahead, even packed for Mom and her family to take on a Mother’s Day picnic. The bowl gets glam with the addition of microgreens (or sprouts), heirloom veggies, and meaty halloumi cheese.
Enhance this bowl’s beauty with an array of nourishing colorful produce. Try purple carrots, heirloom tomatoes, watermelon radish, radicchio, and avocado, or choose Mom’s most-loved veggies. These items are available at most major grocery stores and farmers’ markets.
Heirloom Veggie Grain Bowls with Chicken and Seared Halloumi
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 9 oz pkg herb and garlic or plain halloumi halloom
- 1 head red leaf lettuce washed, dried well, and torn
- 3 cups cooked sprouted quinoa brown rice, or millet
- 2 colorful heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 large purple or orange carrot peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup raw or cooked corn kernels or green peas
- 2 cups cooked chicken cold and shredded
- 1 cup microgreens or colorful sprouts
- For dressing, to sealable jar or bowl, add all ingredients and shake or whisk to combine. Mix again before using.
- For bowls, slice halloumi into 1/4 in slabs and brush with a bit of olive oil. Heat large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat and sear halloumi in batches until golden brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes a side. Set aside.
- In large bowl, toss lettuce with enough dressing to coat, and then add to 6 shallow bowls (such as pasta bowls) or plates followed by a scoop of cooked quinoa. Arrange tomatoes, cucumbers, carrot, and corn or peas on top in any pattern, then top with chicken, seared halloumi, and dressing, to taste. Garnish with microgreens or sprouts and serve.
Per serving: 600 calories; 31 g protein; 31 g total fat (10 g sat. fat); 50 g total carbohydrates (6 g sugars, 7 g fiber); 521 mg sodium