Double Dark Chocolate Waffles
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour gluten free if desired
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp low-sodium baking powder gluten free if desired
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large organic eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp grapeseed or sunflower oil plus extra for coating waffle iron
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped, or dark chocolate chunks, at least 70% cacao
- Preheat oven to 200 F.
- In large bowl, whisk oat flour, cacao powder, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently. Let batter rest for 10 minutes to help hydrate the oat flour.
- Using electric mixer on medium-high speed or handheld whisk, beat egg whites in small bowl until soft peaks form. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into batter just until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Heat waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with oil. For each waffle, ladle 1/3 cup batter onto waffle iron and heat until set. Transfer prepared waffles to wire rack set inside baking sheet and place in warm oven while you prepare remaining batter.
Per serving: 422 calories; 14 g protein; 22 g total fat (7 g sat. fat); 47 g total carbohydrates (13 g sugars, 8 g fiber); 324 mg sodium