The contrasting colors make these Colorful Roasted Veggies and Lentils with Crisped Kale an eye-appealing meal for all ages. Because of the range of ingredients, it delivers on all textures as well. Topped with a creamy, lemony vegan mayo, it’s pucker-inducing and delicious
Our roasted veggies are mild flavored for young eaters. If serving to an “adults only” crowd, jazz up the squash and broccoli with some harissa paste or curry powder or a generous dusting of chili powder before roasting.
Gluten free, vegetarian, & dairy free
Colorful Roasted Veggies and Lentils with Crisped Kale
- 1 cup dried Puy lentils
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash into 3/4 inch dice
- 2 cups bite-sized pieces of broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 2 tsp flaked dried garlic, plus extra optional
- 1 small bunch curly leaf kale, ribs removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup pepitas or raw pumpkin seeds
Creamy Vegan Mayo
- 1/2 cup soft plain tofu
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Have all vegetables prepped and ready to cook before you begin. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In fine-mesh sieve, rinse lentils, removing any tiny stones and possible debris. In large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add rinsed lentils, 1/2 tsp salt, and garlic clove. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 18 minutes, or just until lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Best to be slightly undercooked. Drain well, reserve garlic clove, and set lentils aside
- Meanwhile, lightly oil rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment. In large bowl, toss squash and broccoli with oil to lightly coat. Spread out on baking sheet and sprinkle with flaked garlic. Bake in center of preheated oven for 25 minutes, stirring with spatula a couple of times so vegetables bake evenly.
- While squash and broccoli are roasting, using your fingertips, rub a little oil and salt into kale. When squash and broccoli have roasted for 25 minutes, scatter cooked lentils and kale over top and roughly stir in. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Return baking sheet to oven and continue to roast for 10 more minutes, or until kale is crispy and vegetables are slightly caramelized
- To make creamy vegan mayo, in small high-powered blender, combine all ingredients. Add softened garlic from cooked lentils. Alternatively, add generous pinches of flaked dry garlic. Whirl until smooth and creamy. Add more seasonings, to taste, if you wish.
- To serve, place roasted veggies and seeds on platter. Drizzle with creamy vegan mayo. Add more seasonings, to taste, if you wish
Per serving: 288 calories; 12 g protein; 13 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 34 g total carbohydrates (3 g sugars, 12 g fiber); 507 mg sodium