Here’s an easy and hearty recipe that is a great addition to a weekend brunch. The blueberries add a dose of antioxidants, and the orange glaze adds just the right tang and sweetness.
Berry-Walnut Muffins with Orange Glaze
For the muffins:
- 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups ground flax meal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh pressed orange juice (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- Preheat oven to 325 F and lightly grease or use paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In large bowl, mix together buckwheat flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
- In smaller bowl whisk together eggs, almond milk, honey, and applesauce. Combine ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in blueberries, cacao nibs, and walnuts.
- Fill muffin cups evenly and bake 15 to 20 minutes. To test that muffins are baked thoroughly, insert toothpick into middle of muffin; if it comes out clean they are done.
- While muffins are baking, make the glaze. In small bowl mix together all ingredients for glaze until smooth.
- Cool muffins for 10 minutes. Drizzle muffins with glaze just before serving.
Per serving: 422 calories; 12 g protein; 25 g total fat (9 g sat. fat); 46 g total carbohydrates (11 g sugars, 26 g fiber); 70 mg sodium