Custardy French toast drizzled in pure maple syrup is a cozy, cold-weather breakfast classic. We’ve given this recipe a vegan makeover by swapping out eggs in the batter with mashed banana and a bit of ground flaxseed. This clever swap makes the French toast reminiscent of banana bread. Top it off with a decadent drizzle of raspberry syrup and you’re just a quick stint in the kitchen away from breakfast bliss.
If you don’t have any bananas around, consider swapping for an orange. In blender, add zest of one large orange along with peeled fruit and other batter ingredients. Blend until smooth and proceed with the recipe as described.
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 medium ripe banana peeled
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened oat milk
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil divided
- 8 slices sourdough loaf cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 oranges peeled and cut into rounds
- In small saucepan, add raspberries, water, and maple syrup before placing over medium heat. Stir until mixture comes to a simmer and let cook, stirring often, until raspberries break down, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Into bowl, strain warm syrup through fine-mesh strainer, using spatula to press mixture through sieve until all seeds have been separated. Set aside to cool. Syrup may be stored in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
- To make batter, in large bowl, mash banana; there should be about 1/2 cup total. Whisk in milk, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, generously coat with vegan butter or coconut oil, about 1 Tbsp.
- Dip 1 piece of bread in batter, letting sit for 5 seconds each side. Transfer immediately to preheated frying pan. Continue process until pan is full. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until an even golden brown. Take care when flipping French toast, as banana mixture can be a bit sticky. Transfer to serving platter and continue process with remaining bread. Add remaining vegan butter or coconut oil to pan if needed.
- To serve, divide toast among serving plates and top with orange slices and a drizzle of raspberry syrup. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 413 calories; 8 g protein; 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat); 80 g total carbohydrates (39 g sugars, 8 g fiber); 435 mg sodium