You’ve thought about meditating, but no way could you sit still or even get your mind to be quiet.
Join the club. Everybody’s mind chatters, and who really has hours to meditate?
Fortunately, just one or two minutes is all you need, and it’s easier than you think. The bonus? “You’ll probably feel so relaxed and happy that you quickly progress to longer periods,” says Dina Kaplan, founder of The Path, a meditation studio in New York City. “If you do this consistently, you’ll notice real changes in your day.”
To get you started, Kaplan offers five simple tips:
1. Set aside two minutes every morning to meditate.
2. Sit in a chair with your back straight, the top of your head aligned with the ceiling and your feet on the floor.
3. Close your eyes. Focus on the sensation of your breath. What does it feel like as it enters your nostrils? Hot? Cold? Tingly?
4. When a thought comes to mind, smile to acknowledge it. Then gently bring your attention back to your breath.
5. After two minutes (or longer), open your eyes, smile and stretch your arms and legs. Congratulations, you’ve just started your day off mindfully.